How Setup Fonts for Your Website.
Educational and Professional use of typefaces are different. For commercial use, make sure you use “100% free for commercial use.”
Today, Chris lectured, how to use Google fonts, @font-face, and Adobe Typekit.
@font-face can access to fonts if Google fonts does not have the fonts you want to use. For example, you can use free “ALEO” from fontsquirrel.com.
1. how to use google fonts
- Use Sassy-base development folder/directory,
- Download from Github.com Zip to your computer
- Drop the folder to Prepros
- Drop it also to the code editor you use such as Visual Studio Code, Atom, or Brackets.
- Change the body color in editor to see the web if body color to set “$type-color-body: red;” in the “_typography.scss” partial scss file, then add define “color: $type-color-body;” in style.scss file then check on web to see if it is updated. (updated massage will show on the screen)
- Check web to see if the index.html file is updated
- Google fonts use one for the body and one for the heading.
- Copy link html add to your index.html file at <head></head>
- Add index.html <link href=”https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto” rel=”stylesheet”>
- Add a line to SCSS file “font-family: ‘Roboto’, sans-serif;”
- What is the negative part of Google fonts? You don’t have a internet connection, you don’t get the fonts. Also if the Google fonts goes down you your web can’t use the fonts.
- @fontface 2008 changed every thing. One CSS declaration of @font-face.
- 10 years ago used – image replacement technic (text is there and the image shows).
WOFF- supported IE-9 on and others, TTF- for other than MS, EOT- for MS only, SVG check if all the browser supports by checking “can I use” website.
OTF – Adobe website says, “OpenType, as jointly defined by Microsoft and Adobe Systems, is technically an extension of Microsoft’s TrueType Open format, which can contain either PostScript font outlines (.otf) or TrueType font outlines (.ttf).” PostScript is for high resolution printing.
Fonts are available at:
The development folder, “sassy-base” has the following entries:
- –fonts –aleo–aleo.woff
2. To Use Fonts using @font-face:
Add the following code in style.scss<pre>
font-family: 'MyWebFont', Fallback, sans-serif;
Add the following code in style.scss
src: url('myfont.woff2') format('woff2'),
To see how it is working by
Recommended way to use font is to use Google fonts, because Adobe Typekit does not work smoothly. It often requires some troubleshooting.
How to use typekits is part of Adobe-> performance is bad. Seems to take more time to load to cache memory. Used Brother-1816 for NMW
3. How to use adobe typekit
- Goto Typekit.com and click “Add to Kit.”-> kit setting and give the url then “Publish”.
You have to be careful using pseudo bold and pseudo italics in Typekit. Typekit is also server dependent.
Bold some weighted by using thin Brother-1816 and make it weight to be 900 instead matching 100.